This blog shares some of our thoughts about plain language, and the latest discussions about plain English and clear design in New Zealand, and around the world.

To find out more about Write, go to http://www.write.co.nz/ or join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/WriteLimited

30 October 2012

Are your ebooks full of typos?

When I first got my Kindle, I spent some time considering what I'd buy to read on it. My friends were enjoying revisiting Dickens and Hugo without the inconvenience of the weight and volume of those large tomes. But I decided on Jane Austen. Imagine having her complete works at the touch of a button, and all for free. But when these ebooks materialised in my device, I noticed that I'd ended up with the 'Compete Works of Jane Austen'. Somehow it took a bit of the excitement away.

To be fair, the print book I'm reading at the moment has several repeated paragraphs. (I've checked, and it's not just that I'm falling asleep while reading and going over bits I've already read!)

What are your thoughts on the quality of ebooks? Do the typos bother you? Or is the convenience of an e-reader enough to keep the excitement alive?

Read this blog by Laura June, and you'll find out some of the 'dirty little seccrets' about typos in ebooks.

Why is an ebook ever riddled with typos?

1 comment:

  1. Yes, the typos annoy me, and yes, I've definitely found a higher percentage in ebooks than in print books, but I don't agree that they're all that rare in print books - most print books seem to have at least a few.

    I wonder if part of the problem is that print books are usually proofed in hard copy, whereas ebooks may never be printed. It is much harder to proof effectively on a screen.

    ReplyDelete