20. Disclosure documents are clear if they:Last year, commenting on the new Financial Sector category in the annual Plain English Awards, Diana Crossan, Retirement Commissioner, said ‘New Zealand is one of the first countries in the world to develop a national strategy for financial literacy. Making sure documents are clear, understandable, and easy to compare means people can make informed financial decisions throughout their lives.’
21. Plain English is a style of writing in which the language, structure, and presentation of a document all work together to help the reader. A document written in plain English is easy to read, understand, and act upon after just one reading. [We couldn't agree more. Ed.]
- use plain language;
- are logically ordered and easy to navigate;
- highlight key information;
- explain complex information, including any technical terms;
- avoid industry or legal jargon.
The new guidance document is another step in the right direction.