This blog shares some of our thoughts about plain language, and the latest discussions about plain English and clear design in New Zealand, and around the world.

To find out more about Write, go to http://www.write.co.nz/ or join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/WriteLimited

25 June 2014

Good, better, best

For me, this last week has underscored the value of peer review.

I love a challenge

I’ve been working on a project chock full of elements that make me love my job. It’s a complex piece of information design. It’s a form that will be given to people for whom reading is a challenge, though it will be filled in by professionals. The form needs to work for both audiences, as well as meeting legal requirements for informed consent. And it’s a project that, done well, will make a difference for a fragile segment of society.

Because the time frame is very tight (and because I was having fun), I worked over the weekend. I spent all Saturday at my computer, and woke up on Sunday morning with some more ideas.

A job well done?

I was buzzing by Monday; so proud of what I’d achieved. But our in-house process calls for peer review, so I sent the document off to a colleague. I figured she might pick up some small proof reading errors, and maybe comment on the big difference I’d made in the rewrite.

Pride goes before a fall

Back came a tracked-changes version covered with comments, questions, and highlights – and a page-length covering email pointing out some things I hadn’t thought about.

As I worked my way through her draft, I realised that the peer review shone a spotlight on a large hole at the start of the form. My colleague’s suggested changes showed that she’d misunderstood who was going to fill out the form. Once I rewrote the instructions paragraph on the first page to make this important point clear, I could delete a lot of her comments and questions.

A job better done

I’m really proud of the final draft that has gone to the client. I had done a good job. Thanks to my colleague, we’ve now done an even better job.

Talk to us about training in being a good peer reviewer
Talk to us about rewriting your forms

No comments:

Post a Comment